It's school holidays yay! and I've had a list (mentally) for ages of what I wanted to do over these holidays (actually last holidays but they were filled with fixing the floors so all my plans went out the window) so Today I crossed one off the list and that was to make Jam. My friend Kirra made this Jam last year and said it was easy and I should give it a go. It was in Frankie magazine september last year.
this is what you will need
200g peeled and grated green apples (final weight not whole apple weight)
2 lemons juiced, seeds saved separately
500g caster sugar
1 vanilla pod
a 5L stainless steel saucepan with lid
sugar thermometer (i didn't use this)
several glass jars with screw on lids
small piece of muslin
length of string
clean tea towel
jam funnel (i didn't use this)
1. wash, hull and cut strawberries in half (i cut them a bit smaller than this)
2. prepare apples, peel and grate, add them to the saucepan at a low heat for 10-15 minutes to soften
3. toss in the strawberries and sugar, mix thoroughly so everything has an even coat, you just want to warm the fruit at this stage.
4.add juiced lemon to the mix and muslin bag with vanilla and lemon seeds (i didn't add the seeds as i read on mamatribe that the seeds made the jam more lemony and i didn't want that)
5. raise the temperature to a boil, this is when you use the sugar thermometer (which i didn't have) you are meant to let it get to 105 degrees, you MUST keep stirring the jam at this stage, i kept covering it for a bit then stirred for a bit etc and you can kinda tell when it turns to jam.
6. prepare your jars, there is lots of different ways to do this i used this method
7. remove the muslin bag, and fill the jars. This recipe only made 2 Jars of jam.
8. Label and eat. I used the jam stickers from that issue of Frankie magazine. The jam is rather delicious!